Mr. Backstrom has over 25 years of consulting experience focused exclusively in the healthcare provider market, including more than 10 years leading and addressing complex Telehealth needs for national and regional health systems, academic hospitals, children’s hospitals, and community hospitals. His core competencies include: Telehealth planning, design and implementation; enterprise imaging planning, design and implementation; and IT strategic planning and implementation. Jay is a frequent speaker both nationally and internationally at healthcare conferences, webinars and has had multiple articles published in the market on Telehealth.
Skills and Experience | Telehealth Strategic Planning and Program Development
- Led successful Telehealth strategies, business plans, designs, vendor selections and implementations for health organizations throughout the US over the last 10 years. These client organizations included national and regional health systems, academic hospitals, children’s hospitals, and community hospitals
- Sample recent client engagements include:
- Led a planning, design, and implementation of a Telehealth program for a national multi-hospital pediatric specialty provider. This included development of the overall Telehealth strategy, business plan, comprehensive financial model, overall program build, and deployment of multiple Telehealth services. The client results of this Telehealth program included realizing their strategic objectives along with over $16M in direct cost savings.
- Led the Telehealth business plan and design for development of new Telehealth services at one of the largest non-profit health care organizations in the United States. This included the assessment of over 30 clinical areas, development of a Telehealth business plan, detailed financial model, and implementation roadmap. We also helped optimize five (5) existing Telehealth services that lacked adoption and established an enterprise Telehealth organization and governance model. This included the integration with Epic Hyperspace and MyChart. Results of the project included over $60M in net new revenue and cost savings.
- Developed the Telehealth strategic plan and design for a mid-sized community hospital. This included the assessment of over 20 clinical areas, development of a Telehealth business plan, detailed financial model, and implementation roadmap. This included the integration with Epic Hyperspace and MyChart. Our work resulted in leveraging Telehealth to expand their specialty outreach to patients in targeted areas of the region and state and over $14M in net new revenue.
- Led a 2+ year strategic consulting engagement for a very large national healthcare client to develop one of the largest Telehealth programs in the nation consisting of 12 Telehealth service lines focused across 25 states. Engagements included: Telehealth business plan development, Telehealth service line designs, vendor selections, and implementation. We also assisted with the successful creation of a for-profit spin-off business as a Telehealth service provider.
Other Professional Experience
- Led a consulting practice specializing in helping clients plan, design and implement Telehealth services as well as their imaging/VNA needs. Included project delivery, account management, sales, recruiting, and talent development.
- Developed and led a national healthcare consulting practice by establishing new lines of business in the areas of Telehealth, medical imaging/VNA and HIPAA security. Included accountability for practice development, sales, delivery, talent development and recruiting.
- Served as Vice President for a healthcare consulting firm with a specialty in digital imaging and clinical informatics. Was responsible for account sales and client delivery focused on performance-based digital imaging solutions.
- Led a consulting practice and was responsible for client delivery, account management, engagement leadership, quality assurance, and ensuring client satisfaction for digital imaging (PACS, RIS, CPACS, etc.) consulting engagements nationwide. Was also responsible for sales and account development for all IT consulting operations, as well as practice development, service offering development, staffing, utilization management, recruiting, and intellectual property management.
Bachelor of Business Administration, Computer Information Systems, Texas State University, San Marcos, TX
Posted October 2019
Pivoting to Quickly Operationalize Telehealth for COVID-19
Telehealth Services that Accelerate Program Maturity
Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) in Digital Imaging: Indicators for Success
Eliminating Digital Imaging Optimization Barriers
2002 Winter Conference